Our Story

My husband took a 1 year assignment in Korea (South of course). With a one year old along for the ride, this year will definitely be an adventure. In an attempt to try to document all the craziness, I decided to start this blog to record all the memories we are making.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day 1

We have finally arrived!  For a while there yesterday I think both of us were worried that might not happen.  After all the drama the past few months involving this trip, it really shouldn't have surprised either of us that everything that could have gone wrong did.

We were planning on leaving my parent's house at 10 am after Remmer's morning nap since our flight left at 2.  At least Dan thought it left at 2 until he checked the flight info that morning and realized it left two hours earlier.  In the mad dash that ensued, I forgot all of Remmer's little milk packs (Probugs Organic Whole Milk Kefir which I absolutely love.  They come in a little pack that has a straw attached.  Very little mess and completely save the day in places like airports and planes.).  My mom, being the awesome mom that she is, rescheduled her day, packed them all up, and drove up to SFO behind us to drop them off.  Remmer went through 3 on the plane, so I'm really lucky she was able to save the day.

Checking in was a nightmare.  I think we got the slowest person in the entire airport.  He spent about 5 minutes trying to verify that our carseat was approved for airplanes.  (It says it right on the back, dummy!)  Then another 10-15 checking us in, counting and recounting our bags, and royally messing everything up.  We finally got through that process only to find out that, to pay for our extra baggage, we had to wait in another line because only one person behind the counter was able to handle payments.  One person!  Out of 12?

That put us about half an hour before bording which still should have been enough time.  We got down to security and were told to go into a special line for families.  They said that it was supposed to be a faster line for people with children.  In reality, I think the philosophy was, "Since most of you slow down the rest of the lines, we'll put you all in one and let you suffer together."  With this being our 10th+ flight with Remmer, we're pretty experienced at getting all of our stuff through and not holding up the people behind us.  Clearly a lot of other families are not.  We spent another half hour waiting in line to get to the security check point.  Then of course they had to check every single one of our baby food items for GSR because I obviously look like your run of the mill terrorist.  (And yes, of course, I brought a ton of food, an issue they had a great deal of trouble with.  We're moving all the way to Korea!)

By the time we got to the gate everyone was already boarding.  The girl checking us in was nice enough to help us with all of our extra bags and stroller once both Dan and I snapped at her about how poor our experience had been so far. When Dan tried to install the carseat we were stopped two more times to check to make sure that it was airplane approved.  Afterwards I realized they probably don't see a lot of one year olds with their own seat and the need for a car seat.  In the heat of the moment, I have to admit I wasn't that understanding.  On a positive note, my lack of diplomacy boarding the plane earned us very impressive service getting off the plane.  They handled the stressed out, angry mom with kid gloves from that point on which, after a 12 hour flight where Remmer only slept for 3, was incredibly needed.

The rest was pretty anti-climatic.  We got through customs without a hitch, were picked up by our driver, and an hour later were at our hotel.  After a quick dinner across the street (All the servers LOVED Remmer.), we were all settled in for the night.  Well, settled in for the next couple hours until jet lag kicked in an Remmer was WIDE awake...

No comments:

Post a Comment